Wednesday 27 April 2011

37. The Best Years of Our Lives

What it's about
Some men come back from war and have to get used to living normal lives again.

What I thought
I really liked Homer, but I got a little bored.

What Mum thought
Mum had seen this one before. "I think the best praise of all for this came from Capra who said it deserved every award Wyler could get for it. This film beat It's a Wonderful Life, and although I love that film, I can see why this did so well. In particular, Harold Russell, who won two academy awards for his portrayal of Homer Parrish. Although quite slow paced, it is a well written and directed character-driven story."

What Dad thought
First time for Dad. "I quite enjoyed this film, although I agree it was slow. It was ambitious to show the ex-service men returning to normality after World War II. It expertly portrayed them returning to a life which had remained the same when they had changed so dramatically. Harold Russell stole the film with an excellent performance. A little disappointing that he didn't go on to do a lot more film. Overall a brave film."

No comments:

Post a Comment