Thursday 14 July 2011

47. A Streetcar Named Desire




What it's about
A strange woman goes to stay with her sister and very angry brother-in-law.

What I thought
I didn't really like this one. I like the Paper Moon song though.

What Mum thought
Mum had seen this one before. "I really like this one, but one I wouldn't watch all that often. Great performance from Brando, who really makes the film for me. Leigh does a great job as Blanche, but Blanche is quite an annoying character. What makes the film, and the play, quite difficult is that there doesn't seem to be anyone to connect to. Hunter's performance seems overshadowed by Leigh and Brando, even Malden. The violence towards women within the story is quite brutal, particularly for its time. It certainly deserves its place on the list, yet it'll be a while until I watch it again."

What Dad thought
First time for Dad. "I really did not like this movie. Firstly, I couldn’t understand the accents! This wasn’t a hardship to me as I can watch, and enjoy films, reading subtitles but this is a play that never should have made it onto the screen. Brando gave a strong performance but it was the only thing I enjoyed about this film."

1 comment:

  1. I've got this one to write up myself but Lauren hasn't sent me her intro yet (spoiler: I quite liked it)

    ReplyDelete